Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Opera Night

Bob - There is a great job waiting for you here in Florence. Three nights a week at the English church of Saint Mark's, a pianist and a young opera singer get together and perform a few well-known arias and piano solos for the visiting tourists. The setting is beautiful - right in the middle of an intimate little church with just the pianist and a singer.

Of course you'd have to play all the pedestrian stuff like Clair de lune and Nocturne, and the concerts support a non-profit foundation so you'd have to get a day job...but I think you'd really love it!

Opera Trivia
Did you know that Florence is the birthplace of Opera? One of the first operas was performed at a Medici wedding ceremony at the Pitti Palace in the early 1600.

And Puccini's O Mio Babbino Caro from Schicchi is about Florence?

"And if my love were in vain, I would go to the Ponte Vecchio and throw myself in the Arno!
I am aching, I am tortured! Oh God, I'd like to die!"

Got to love those over-the-top dramatic arias!

2 comments:

  1. So how did Todd like the opera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't kill him and he didn't fall asleep so I think that's a good sign. :-)

    --Brandie

    ReplyDelete