My hotel in Paris was just a few blocks away from the Louvre. While I was there I used the same trick that Todd and I learned in Florence to avoid the huge crowds - go an hour before closing. So Wednesday night after work when the Louvre stays open until 10 pm, I walked over and had just about the entire Italian Renaissance wing to myself.
So I got a good look at the Mona Lisa.
And I still can't figure out why she is so famous. She's not very big. She's not very beautiful. She doesn't represent any significant breakthrough in art (at least that I know of). I just don't understand why she is so important and why she warrants being hung behind bullet-proof glass.
Can anyone tell me why this is the most valuable painting in the world?
So I got a good look at the Mona Lisa.
And I still can't figure out why she is so famous. She's not very big. She's not very beautiful. She doesn't represent any significant breakthrough in art (at least that I know of). I just don't understand why she is so important and why she warrants being hung behind bullet-proof glass.
Can anyone tell me why this is the most valuable painting in the world?

No comments:
Post a Comment