Thursday, June 16, 2011

An experiment with travel agents

This is the first time I've ever used a travel agent.  In the past I've always relied on travel books, travel web sites, and friend recommendations.  When I started planning this trip I couldn't get the cost down low enough to fit in my budget.  It's expensive to travel alone since you don't have anyone to split your room costs with.  Anyway, I was about to give up when I decided to see what a travel agent could do.  They put an itinerary together that has less diving than I had hoped, but it was in my budget (sort of) and covered all my must see's and do's: dive the Great Barrier Reef, see the Sydney Opera House, and hold a Koala. 
 
I'm curious to see how traveling on an itinerary that someone else put together will be. I've found one difference already.  On my last day in Cairns I'm doing a sky rail trip that takes me into the rainforest where I'll hold that koala and see Aboriginal dancers.  It sounds like a great way to spend that "decompression day" between your last dive and when you can fly.  A couple of days ago I tried to see if I could find more information on the excursion on the internet.  Of course I did, and I also found the price!  Had I known how expensive it is I would have opted out, but I didn't get a cost itemization, only a total.  All I can say is those better be darn good Aboriginal dancers and cute koalas!

1 comment:

  1. Traveling Blonde 1June 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM

    So excited for you! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete