Actually it's both, and always has been. I've been calling it Burma ever since I booked the trip. I'm surprised how many people respond with, "Isn't it Myanmar?" The Burmese people have always called their land "Bama" colloquially, or "Myanma" in more formal settings. When the British invaded, their imperial tongue added the "r" sounds, giving us Burma and Myanmar. The country was known as Burma in the Western world up until the 1989 when the ruling military regime changed the official name to the Union of Myanmar. While the UN recognizes this "new" name, several countries, including the US and UK, have refused to recognize the regime and thus continue to refer to the country as Burma. With the country's recent progress towards democracy, however, the stigma attached to each name is dissipating. When US officials visited in November they used both names interchangeably, and, when you ask locals which they prefer, unless they are politically active, they are rather indifferent about it.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment