Thursday, January 31, 2013

Road to Mandalay

This morning we disembarked in Sagaing, across the bridge from Mandalay. They loaded us into the back of a small pick up that took us switch-backing up a mountain to a temple which housed a smiling Buddha. I really like all the smiling Buddhas here; they seem so appropriate amongst a population that seems to always smile too.

On the way up the mountain we stopped at a monastery. When I think of a monastery I think of grown monks doing their monk things. In this country you can become a monk as early as age 4, so this monastery was really a school that (according to the brochure) incorporates moral learning into the curriculum. It sounds just like St Anne's, only all these kids have to shave their heads and the boys wear red robes, and the girls wear pink robes. I don't think Coral would like having to shave her head, but it should would make getting ready in the morning easier!

On the way down the mountain we also stopped at a nunnery. Which is basically a convent. All of the nuns sung us a blessing, which was really sweet even if it was in a minor key.

Our final stop of the day was to the U-Bein teak bridge. It's 150 years old. I felt a bit Indiana Jones-ish walking across it, as it is a bit rickety and has no railing. But that thought was quickly squashed after a dozen or so school kids zoomed past me on their bicycles, like it was nothing. I guess it's all what you're used too.

Tomorrow we are going to the palace, I can't wait!















No comments:

Post a Comment