Saturday, January 26, 2013

Shwedagon Pagoda

On our first day in Yangon we went to see the Shwedagon Pagoda. As we were driving to it the stupa reminded me of the Eiffel Tower, in the way that it peaks out at you from behind buildings all around town.

The large golden stupa is in the middle of a complex of temples and Buddhas similar to the Imperial Palace in Bangkok. The very top of the pagoda is apparently incrusted with diamonds and rubies, but it is too far away you would never know. Some of the Buddhas look Thai; they are all gilded with narrow bodies. Some of the Buddhas look Indian; the skin areas are painted white, and their shoulders are broad. Then there are the Las Vegas Buddhas, with their Nirvana depicting halos of flashing neon lights! Talk about high tech.

Speaking of high tech, I saw a monk sitting in front of a Buddha and texting on his iPhone. No matter where in the world I go, I am always reminded how similar we all are.

On a separate note, I am officially sick. A day before I left Houston I started getting a sore throat. I was downing the vitamin C and Zinc in hopes to stop it before it started, but no such luck. I'm all congested now. Poor Carmen is having to listen to my cough all night.














1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot more monks there than in Thailand or Cambodia. Love the picture of the monk texting! It reminds me of the chapter in Eat Pray Love where the young monk was reading a love letter on email.

    Hope you feel better - ask your hotel if there is some ancient buddhist remedy for a cough.

    ReplyDelete