Thursday, June 19, 2014

Arriving in Colombo, Sri Lanka

It's our first day in Colombo and a 30-hour day for TB2 (but I'll let her tell that story). I got in at 3:30 am after a questionable flight from Doha to Colombo. I should have known flying from Qatar to Sri Lanka was not going to be pleasant - full flight, lots of noisy kids and curry dinner - but when they sprayed insecticide before we landed, well, that was a new experience.

Getting into the tiny cab that barely fit me and my suitcase, my first impression of Colombo was HUMID. Saudi-in-the-summer type of humid. But I got over that quickly when I checked into the hotel and found out our room over looked the ocean. I'll take humidity and ocean view any day. The waves are wonderful. Big and noisy.

Our hotel, the Galle Face, turned out to be a nice surprise all the way around. It's one of the oldest hotels in Colombo and has hosted famous guests including Alfonso King of Spain, Ingrid Queen of Denmark, Prince Phillip of England, Duke Ellington, Harrison Ford, Vivien Leigh, John D. Rockefeller and a cosmonaut Yuri Gararin, the first man in space. I hope they didn't mind the semi-operable air conditioning in the rooms.

But the sheets smell like sandalwood and did I mention the amazing ocean view?
The Indian Ocean from Galle Face Hotel

At breakfast in the hotel waiting for TB2 to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment