Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I cried at school today

We toured the main camp school today, where I went to kindergarten through 9th grade. Talk about memory lane. 

The assistant principal gave us a full tour of everything. We looked in on the room where I had 4th grade while a French class was going on. He introduced me to the class, and I told the students I was in 4th grade in that room in about 1987 or so, and they all said, "whoa!" like I was older than dirt!

I loved walking around and reminiscing, and was feeling so joyful. Then we got to the jr. high gym, and I started crying! I guess it was the first thing that looked exactly the same, and I just have so many fond memories in the gym. There were of all of Kay Siebold's dance performances there every year, all of the jr high school dances, the talent shows, it was where I gave my speech when I ran for student council, where I had my first kiss....anyway, stoic, unemotional me, started crying! That's what I get for making fun of everyone else who has been crying down memory lane on this trip!

Here are somethings that have chaged:
• There is no carpet, the whole school used to have brown carpet with little dark brown squares, it's now all tile.
• The jr high library has expanded to both sides of the hallway so it is a walk through library, and it is painted with vibrant colors.
• They moved the front of the school  (administration offices, principal office, and The Rock) to the side where the buses drop off.
• There is a huge concrete fence that surrounds the whole school now.
• The school mascot is now the Wildcats, not the Bears.
• The elementary school gym no longer has a stage, but now has a big rock wall.
• The student body is significantly more international then when I was here.
• The student body has doubled in size, there are 1000 kids in jr high.
• Between the old building and the new building, you know the way you would walk to the snack bar, that area is beautifully landscaped.

Things that are the same:
•The jr high gym is exactly the same!
•The band and choir rooms are the same.
•The Youth Center and 3rd street pool are the same.
• F15's still fly overhead (that almost made me cry too - my version of  Gulf War Syndrome!).

No comments:

Post a Comment