Monday, July 29, 2019

Day 10 - Fly to Chengdu

The people in our group who like Asian food think the breakfast at the Shangra-la is the best we’ve had. Our guides say this is the best breakfast of the whole trip and rave about the noodles. I pulled out the last of my peanut butter packets that I brought in my snack bag! I was not a fan. I was happy to have some peanut butter left, and there was some French bread that was good. Coral had doughnuts that she liked.

We headed to the airport at 6:30am for our flight to Chengdu. The flight and security was again uneventful. When we got to Chengdu we went to a park for a Tai Chi lesson, which I thought was fun. 


From there we went to a tea house, still in the same park, where we saw a man make lollipops in beautiful shapes.













Around 11:30 we headed to the hotel for a big Chinese lunch that included a tea dancer while they checked us in and delivered our bags to the room. The fried rice was good as was the mango dessert.

We had the afternoon free. I took a nap and Coral enjoyed the fast WiFi and working VPN and got caught up on  her social media. At 5:30 we met our group in the lobby to go to dinner as a Sichuan hotpot restaurant.

While I’m tired of eating and tired of Chinese food, the hotpot restaurant was fun. We each had 
our own “hot pot” of broth on a built in burner and the lazy Susan was packed with things to 
cook in our broth. We got to select all types of meat and veggies to cook in our broth for a couple of minutes. We then would pull it out and place it on our plate and add one of the 4 sauces to it. It was all good. They also had a Chinese pizza or pancake that we didn’t cook which was also very good.

After dinner we went to the Face Changing Opera. It was a folk show with a variety of acts that included singing, dancing, instruments, and puppets. Chinese music is does not use the same western music scale that we are accustomed to, I heard someone say it sounded like cats fighting, but the dancing and costumes were fun.
















Total Fitbit steps for the day: 8,304





No comments:

Post a Comment